[rescue] Sunblade 100 question

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 10:22:59 CDT 2001

Has anyone tried to actually use firewire on a Sunblade?  What is the
status of support.  I'm assuming that the raw firewire itself has support
so that hardware developers can write drivers to use firewire devices, but
are video devices supported yet?  Is there sample code for doing video
playback and recording?  Sun keeps saying that they are a good platform
for DCC, but the only evidence I see from them are what appears to be an
abandoned port of Lightwave, and a new port of EI.  But, still, I'm
thinking, could this be a perfect platform for a new video editing/effects
package?  I mean, the Sun Blades start out cheap, and maybe real time
editing and effects would only be offered to people who shell out for the
Expert3d-lite board (choke, twice the price of a non 3D Sun Blade, choke).

Anyway, just a thought. Sun Blades 100s seem to be hitting prices that
make this look reasonable, but I'm not a bit fan of giving up 3D
acceleration, and those Exper3ds are NOT cheap.

--
Joshua D. Boyd