[rescue] web server loadbalancing...

Big Endian rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 2 19:15:01 CDT 2001

>Once upon a time, I worked for a major financial firm. I had a server
>that HAD to be 100% available, but wasn't given the budget to buy the
>hardware I really could have used to make it so. SO... I took a second,
>identical server and had it mirror the data on the first in real time.
>Then I wrote a script that checked if THE server was up, every thirty
>seconds or so. If it wasn't, said script copied important files into the
>right places and restarted networking. Total downtime was never over 30
>seconds, which was acceptable. The only real problem was that the
>servers had to be on the same subnet, obviously.
>
>Not so difficult after all.
>

>---sambo

wouldn't it be kinda cheap to just set both servers up on the same IP
and let ARP take care of the load balance?  It really depends on how
you configure the router but I would think that if you had it set up
right that ARP could do the HA for you.  Just set the router's arp
cache to drop the entry every second.  The problem with this if the
server returned more data than the TCP window size setup between
client and server.

daniel