[rescue] web server loadbalancing...

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 2 22:07:07 CDT 2001

Big Endian wrote:

> wouldn't it be kinda cheap to just set both servers up on the same IP
> and let ARP take care of the load balance?  It really depends on how
> you configure the router but I would think that if you had it set up
> right that ARP could do the HA for you.  Just set the router's arp
> cache to drop the entry every second.  The problem with this if the
> server returned more data than the TCP window size setup between
> client and server.

Yep. Had to do that too (drop the cache entry) or else it wouldn't find
it 'till it expired. Thanks for the reminder.

One more reason to hate NT; occassionally a rogue NT box would tell the
router *something* (I never found out what) that would make my OS/2
boxes just !dissappear!. Turn off the NT box, clear the cache, and the
OS/2 box'd just magically reappear.

Bastards.

---sambo