[rescue] web server loadbalancing...

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 2 19:04:24 CDT 2001

Once upon a time, I worked for a major financial firm. I had a server
that HAD to be 100% available, but wasn't given the budget to buy the
hardware I really could have used to make it so. SO... I took a second,
identical server and had it mirror the data on the first in real time.
Then I wrote a script that checked if THE server was up, every thirty
seconds or so. If it wasn't, said script copied important files into the
right places and restarted networking. Total downtime was never over 30
seconds, which was acceptable. The only real problem was that the
servers had to be on the same subnet, obviously.

Not so difficult after all.

---sambo