[SunRescue] SS5 model help

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 27 00:40:13 CDT 2001

User directory over NFS, everything else local I think.  NIS used. 64megs
of ram. Not ideal, but it should be enough for decent performance running
netscape and a few xterms.  Or even just pine on a console.  The Sparc 10
with dual 40mhz processors even feels more responsive.  It has 96 megs of
ram and it both mounts and servers numerous NFS shares whereas the SS5s
only mount.  The SS10 is certainly slower.  It doesn't compile or crunch
numbers as quickly, but it responds promptly and quickly.  I'd love to see
that machine upgraded but it ain't going to happen.  Every now and then I
like to scare people buy showing them what it can do with 3D graphics
(full screen garoud shading with reasonable numbers of polys smooth as
glass).

--
Joshua Boyd