[SunRescue] SS5 model help

Peter L. Wargo rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 26 11:52:21 CDT 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, James Fogg wrote:

> I have an opportunity to get a stripped SS5 with the model number S5-170. I
> know a 110mhz model was made, but was a 170mhz model made? What is this model?
> The CPU has a power fan and looks factory installed.

The 170 is a nice board - the fan on the CPU is the giveaway - 170MHz
turboSPARC, 256K cache, by far the best SS5 made.  (Others may disagree,
but *I* liked it.)

Direct swap for your 70's board, you can even swap the NVRAM.  I upgraded
about 20 -70's to -170's when the upgrade cost $1200 or so from Sun. :-)

_pete