[SunRescue] RE: Ultrix 4.2a help

Kurt Mosiejczuk rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 20 15:58:34 CDT 2001

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:

> OK, Ultrix can be fun, if you can get a toolset for it to your liking.
> After all, it is just 4.2BSD plus a little DECism.

I really got into sysadmin on Ultrix 4.3 initially.  Due to a large
donation of DecStation 5000 boxes from Kodak here in Rochester.

> Anyway, from vague memory to get it to boot multiuser, you will need
> to poke the prom with something to the effect of boot 5/rz0/vmunix -a

The only thing I'll warn is that he said his machine was a /133 and not
/200 which does make a difference.  I want to say the number in front
should be a 3 and not a 5, I'm not sure of the number, but I do remember
it was different (caused us some problems at first =) ).

The donation we got was quite sizable, they had us come in and grab
all we wanted.  Ended up with probable close to 100 Decstation5000
of 3 varieties (133, 125 and 200).  And whereas this was about 8 years
ago, that was QUITE a haul for a student organization of about 35
students =)

We had ethernet and color workstations in most of our rooms =)

--Kurt