[SunRescue] RE: Ultrix 4.2a help

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 20 15:11:49 CDT 2001

> Ok, sorry for not being more specific, it does infact boot, its only at the
> last minute it gives me that error and stops the boot process and just drops
> to a shell, then I can start rc manually and everything works, like I have
> it networked and everything, though it is still annoying to have that error
> message. (:
> I'm running ultrix because I have never played with it before so its a nice
> thing to be able to do.

OK, Ultrix can be fun, if you can get a toolset for it to your liking.
After all, it is just 4.2BSD plus a little DECism.

Anyway, from vague memory to get it to boot multiuser, you will need
to poke the prom with something to the effect of boot 5/rz0/vmunix -a
but I forget the exact incantation to do that.  I just halted my
5000/200 box, and the boot prom must read ``boot=5/rz0/vmunix -a''
when you do a printenv.  There should be something like a setenv
commmand, maybe, ``setenv boot "5/rz0/vmunix -a"'', with the quotes
around the target to include the -a so that it picks up the whole string
being necessary to set it right.  Also, set osconsole=0, console=1,
testaction=q, haltaction=h, and there may be one or two more to
twiddle to get right.  They should be pretty close.  It sounds like
the boot parameter is off.  At the prom do the printenv and see what
comes back.

That is all that comes to mind.

Bob