[SunRescue] OT: HP 9000

Chris Petersen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 12 09:53:47 CDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 07:00:40AM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Robert Rose wrote:
>
> > I've managed to get an HP 9000 D-class server (D280, 1 CPU) from the local
> > auctions for approx. $US250.  It looks like it's got 128Mb RAM, CD-Rom,
> > DDS3 but no disks :(
>
> D280...  is that a 180MHz PA8000?  If so it's a pretty nice box,
> comparable in speed to a midrange Ultra.

Okay, time for the guy who works on HP gear all the time to sound in :)

(and no grousing - I started on SunOS, did the first migrations to Solaris
2.4 at our university, and have an Ultra 1/200E at home right beside my
HP B180L...)

Specs:
------
HP 9000 D280:	up to 2x 180MHz PA8000
  		up to 3gb ECC RAM
		EISA & HSC busses (HSC was HP's standard server bus)
		room for 2 disks in HP canisters
		Can go FWD/hotpluggable, typically found this way but it was
		optional

$250 USD is a killer deal for one of these.  I'm seriously jealous :)

> > Some questions for the non-sun purists out there:
> > 1. Am I insane?  Did I get ripped off?
>
> Don't think so, 128MB of HP RAM is worth a chunk of change by itself if it
> takes the nonstandard stuff.

Yep, FYI - while HP didn't admit as much sometimes, this RAM is used in:

B,C,J class workstations (prior to the new 4-digit models like the
			  B1000/C3x00/J5x00)

D,K,R class servers (R is basically a rackmount variant of the D)

This means that RAM is pretty versatile even if you would decide that an HP
workstation would suit you better.

> > 2. Will I need any special cables to attach a wyse term as a console?
>
> If you have a grab bag of serial cables around you should be able to get
> it to work.  What's the connector?

Should be a standard DB25 connector, at least it was on the last D330 I had
at work.  Forgive me if my memory slips, I retired the last of our D-classes
a year ago in favor of L & A-class boxes (1 L1000, 1 L2000, 2 A400s).

I can double check, we've got some D330s still in our DP center downstairs.

Or, better yet, check your D280 - a *lot* of D-class servers were sold with
a kit that basically made them a workstation, complete with graphics head
and PS/2 inputs.  This is kind of a nice option, IMHO.  HP's strategy these
days is even kinkier - they'll sell you a 2-port USB card for Keyboard &
Mouse, and a PCI framebuffer.

> > 3. Is it going to be expensive to get HP-sUX for it?  Is it worthwhile
> > attempting to purchase a license from HP, or am I best off reselling the
> > box (provided it works) since there seems to be a distinct lack of NetBSD
> > or (ugh!) Linux support.
>
> A long time ago, in a galaxy far away (last year) you could get HP-UX
> 10.20 for free from HP by ordering their "Y2K transition kit".  Now it's a
> bit tougher but should still be much easier than, say, scaring up a copy
> of IRIX.  Finding HP-UX 11 will be harder but may run better on that
> system.

Well, here's a problem.  The HP-UX 10.20 Transition Kit was *only* for
Series 700 boxes.  Prior to HP-UX 11, there was a distinction between
servers and workstations.  Workstations were "Series 700" (based on the fact
that all the workstations used to be designated 7xx/xx) and servers were
"Series 800" (for the same reason).  They both used different OS releases!
To get the Y2k kit for a Series 800 box you had to cough up license
paperwork and serial numbers, and there may have even been a slight fee.

However, I've got plenty of HP 10.20, 11.00, and now 11.11 (11i) media
hoarded for anybody that needs it, for series 700 or 800.  Mail me off list
if you're interested.

> > 4. If I do get this thing going, any ideas on how fast / useful / fun it's
> > going to be?  As a comparison, I consider my Sparc 10/512 both fast and
> > useful and my Indy fun.
>
> It should be righteously snappy, if it's the box I'm thinking of.

Yep, it's a nice quick little box, probably comparable to an Ultra 2
or an early E250.

Needless to say, I've been looking for one of these for a while :)

Hope this helps, if you need more info or parts, just drop me a line off
list and I'll help you with any questions you've got.

Chris  (the token HP guy)

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer, Industry Services, Unigraphics Solutions Inc.
Email: havoc at apk.net