[SunRescue] OT: HP 9000

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 12 09:00:40 CDT 2001

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Robert Rose wrote:

> I've managed to get an HP 9000 D-class server (D280, 1 CPU) from the local
> auctions for approx. $US250.  It looks like it's got 128Mb RAM, CD-Rom,
> DDS3 but no disks :(

D280...  is that a 180MHz PA8000?  If so it's a pretty nice box,
comparable in speed to a midrange Ultra.

> Some questions for the non-sun purists out there:
> 1. Am I insane?  Did I get ripped off?

Don't think so, 128MB of HP RAM is worth a chunk of change by itself if it
takes the nonstandard stuff.

> 2. Will I need any special cables to attach a wyse term as a console?

If you have a grab bag of serial cables around you should be able to get
it to work.  What's the connector?

> 3. Is it going to be expensive to get HP-sUX for it?  Is it worthwhile
> attempting to purchase a license from HP, or am I best off reselling the
> box (provided it works) since there seems to be a distinct lack of NetBSD
> or (ugh!) Linux support.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away (last year) you could get HP-UX
10.20 for free from HP by ordering their "Y2K transition kit".  Now it's a
bit tougher but should still be much easier than, say, scaring up a copy
of IRIX.  Finding HP-UX 11 will be harder but may run better on that
system.

> 4. If I do get this thing going, any ideas on how fast / useful / fun it's
> going to be?  As a comparison, I consider my Sparc 10/512 both fast and
> useful and my Indy fun.

It should be righteously snappy, if it's the box I'm thinking of.

-James