[SunRescue] Anyone else here hate Perl?

Simeon Johnston rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 5 17:22:57 CDT 2001

    I wasn't going to get on this subject but I couldn't resist when it hit
the mac. : )
    I use a mac at work and at home ( among other machines ).  I love these
things.  I also love applescript and have done some scripts for basic
everyday tasks ( like rearanging my desktop ).  I was going to learn more but
my job pointed me toward Linux and all the learning that entails.  I have
grown very fond of linux but would never trade it in for a good ( G4 or
better ) mac running OSX.
    I would love to use applescript on for different platforms ( especially
windows.  would be great for windows scripting ).  Maybe it will be more
portable when OSX comes out.  : )

    To stay on topic, I have looked at some perl scripts and found them to be
completely confusing.  I have started learning ( again ) some C/C++ and have
done some scripts in bash as well.  They were all pretty simple and straight
forward.  Perl seems to be a language that changes itself to suit whoever
uses it and in so doing makes it impossible for anyone else to debug or
understand what it is trying to do.
    I am not a programmer ( yet ) and this is just my first impression.  I
mostly got this impression from what I read from the previous link about Perl
6.  Just seems like a huge mess.

sim

Just my personal uneducated opinion.  :-)