[SunRescue] Silly SS10... continued....

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 5 12:19:10 CDT 2001

> > IFF I temporarily yank the cdrom out of the SS5, and slip it in the
> > scsi bus where the second HD goes, will that silly SS10 use that
> > correctly for installing?  I am expecting it should, but....
>
> hmm is the block size on the rom drive set right?  Or am I getting
> this wrong - its near the end of the day and I am playing break the
> mail system at the mo - so my mind isnt quite there.

Well the apple cdrom (sony cdu-8002, I think) installed the first
cd correctly, but when the second cd was installed it said it could
not read it.  I think the software was looking for some sun signature
or such, from the drive, and when it did not find that or whatever the
drive returns, it keeps asking for the cd to be put in over and over
again.    Braindead (read proprietary Sun-Only) install script, probably.

I was thinking of just hanging the SS5 cdrom temporarily in place to
do the install, an get away from having to nfs install or something
strange.... the machines are spread out all over the lab benches, and
not where networking is.  I forgot to bring in my null ethernet cable
for a back-to-back hookup.

> > Also, will the freebie solaris 8 install off a tty?  I really want
> > the SS10 to be a servery thingie, as opposed to a graphical workstation.
> > The thought was to set it under the SS5 in the stack, and use the SS5
> > as the ``Sun Workstation'' box.
>
> Yes:  boot off the 1st software CD - the one that is not the Installation
> CD.  I dont have the Cds in front of me to check the labels - there are 3
> you want the second and third.

OK, I will try that tomorrow.  I brought in the wrong gender dongles
to hookup the VT320... dang!  All my donglesets are at home since I
don't usually use them around the office.   I really must make up a
travelling hardware tookit.

> Put the first in the bin or microwave it.

Oh, sure, that one is not used.... just the soft1/soft2/lang cd's,
and really nothing important comes in off the lang cd.

Maybe make a frizbee out of it......(:+}}...

Thanks

Bob