[SunRescue] Silly SS10... continued....

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 5 12:24:36 CDT 2001

Bob wrote:
> Well the apple cdrom (sony cdu-8002, I think) installed the first
> cd correctly, but when the second cd was installed it said it could
> not read it.  I think the software was looking for some sun signature
> or such, from the drive, and when it did not find that or whatever the
> drive returns, it keeps asking for the cd to be put in over and over
> again.    Braindead (read proprietary Sun-Only) install script, probably.

You sure the 2nd CD is good? The install scripts aren't that intelligent.
When installing Solaris 8, after the system reboots it prompts to input
the 2nd CD. Since it takes moment for volume management to recognize/mount
the CD maybe you're hitting 'enter' too quickly when you insert the CD and
it hasn't had enough time to mount?

> I was thinking of just hanging the SS5 cdrom temporarily in place to
> do the install,

That's do-able. I've done that on an IPX w/ an SS5 CD-ROM :)

> Oh, sure, that one is not used.... just the soft1/soft2/lang cd's,
> and really nothing important comes in off the lang cd.

8 comes w/ 3 CDs + extras. Throw out the 'install' CD and just
'boot cdrom' from "cd 1 of 2".

-Jon