[SunRescue] SS4/SS5/SS10 compatibility?

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 2 15:38:05 CDT 2001

My advice is simple, pick one machine and make it your primary machine, view the other two as donors in support of the one machine. My approach would be as follows:

SS/5
----

If the SS/5 has a 170 MHz CPU - it is the winner, hands-down (for a single-user, general purpose box). Gather all the RAM from the SS/4 and stuff it in there as well, and put the two biggest hard drives you have inside the SS/5 on the HD trays.

Then I would sell the SS/4 as a bare system, good for about $40-60 on the EBAY market, or you might be able to trade it for 2x 32 Meg DIMMs for the SS/5. (32 Meg DIMMs are about $25-45/each, the system can take up to 8 DIMMs, for 256 Meg RAM).

Whatever you do, don't give away a drive bracket with the SS/4 unless you already have two in the SS/5 - these cost $25 if you have to buy them (but, they are easy to locate if you do need/want one).

SS/4
----

I can not think of any reason to hold on to the SS/4 if you have an SS/5 already. The SS/4 will have a CPU of 110 MHz or lower, and only have room for one HD and no CD-ROM. (Well, OK, if the SS/5 is DOA, but besides that...).

The RAM is compatible with the SS/5, as are the HDs, but the SS/4 can only take one drive internal, without an expensive cable/wiring harness.

SS/10
-----

If the CPU is greater than an SM41 (like an SM51, 61, 71 or 81 ;^) use this as your main machine, and sell off the other two systems to get accessories for the SS/10.

If the CPU is an SM51, a second one can be had for $50 +/-. RAM is very cheap, 64 Meg DIMMs are about $50/each, and if you are wise, you will only buy SS/20 RAM, which can follow you into an Ultra 1 or 2 if your needs/luck improve and you get one of them.

The SS/10 takes up to 2x SCSI-II 50 pin drives internal, but can not have an internal CD-ROM drive. The SS/10 can be upgraded with newer CPUs that can make your machine quite fast, but at a *huge* expense. You may be limited as to the speed of the CPUs you can place in the SS/10 due to the OPENBOOT PROM level, but that is easily fixed with a $20 bill or two.

If you can only get one of the three machines, the SS/10 is *most likely* your best bet, unless, of course, the SS/5 is a 170 MHz system, then the SS/5 is your best bet.

Just my thoughts, HTH,

Ken

<snip - digest>