[SunRescue] Re: 4.5 gig drive in 386i?

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 2 15:05:08 CDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 12:01:08PM -0500, rescue-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

Chris Powell <Chris_Powell at mitel.com> wrote:

> On the subject of 386is. I can't get my 386i to boot without it resetting
> the date to the last shutdown time - I believe this is a y2k issue. I get

Yep, the 386i isn't Y2K compliant.

> TOD clock not initialised -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE
>
> Setting the year to 1999 and the machine boots and keeps the date set
> OK. Setting to 1/1/2000 (hacking the NVRAM or letting the date roll-over)
> or later, a later boot will set the date back to the last shutdown (even
> if it's 2000 or later). I then use rdate from a SS10 to set the date
> correctly. This isn't really a huge problem (I don't use the 386i much),
> but if anyone has any ideas....

I call ntpdate from the startup scripts of all my machines.

--
David Cantrell | root at alphacomplex.org | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

    This is a signature.  There are many like it but this one is mine.

** I read encrypted mail first, so encrypt if your message is important **