[SunRescue] SS4/SS5/SS10 compatibility?

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 2 17:22:24 CDT 2001

On April 2, Ken Hansen wrote:
> If you can only get one of the three machines, the SS/10 is *most likely* your best bet, unless, of course, the SS/5 is a 170 MHz system, then the SS/5 is your best bet.

  I haven't checked the benchmarks, but I've found that an SS10 with
an SM71 or SM81 will knock the teeth out of any SS5, 170MHz or not.

  And, before you say "but Bob doesn't HAVE an SM71 or SM81!" he can
upgrade to one later...which is a capability that no SS4 or SS5 has.

  Thus, my advice...sell the SS4 and the SS5 to someone who's just
getting started in the Unix world.  Take that money and buy a good
processor for that SS10.  You will not be disappointed.

         -Dave McGuire