[SunRescue] Least expensive 'Real Server'

David Rouse rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 11 21:40:38 CST 2000

Now that I've got a 'Real Computer' I'd like to get a 'Real Server' which I
guess at this point means a box with board slots, not just card slots and
the ability to have up to at least 4 CPUs.

Given the constraints of this being a hobby (so not much money) and me not
having anything more than standard USA household power, what is the most
reasonable thing to shoot for? I work with an 670MP, but the odd VME cards
and lack of support for anything beyond Solaris 2.5.1 are a bit offputting.
But if the 670MP supports dual MBUS cards other than those yucky ROSS 40MHz
things I might could manage.

But I guess what I'm really thinking about is the SS1000 (I'm assuming that
the SS2000 would still be quite expensive). What would something like this
cost in a mimimal configuration (just enough disk, ram and cpu to boot)?
Would it be able to run Solaris 7?

--
drouse