[SunRescue] Cleaning up old Sun gear

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 11 21:31:02 CST 2000

In a message dated 11/10/2000 10:51:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
reedc at cc.wwu.edu writes:

>  I've used some stuff called "Goof Off" before, on a limited basis, usually
>  when nothing else works.  It will take marks right off - but also eat the
>  plastic just as well if you're not careful.

I have a trick I use with Goof Off. That is to neutralize it with alcohol a
few seconds after I use it.

I generally work only in a small area, about 2 or 3 square inches. The
alcohol I use is ethanol denatured with methanol. I always use a clean cloth.

Apply Goof Off to the cloth, about a 2 inch spot. Apply quickly for about 5
to 10 seconds. It strips very quickly and loads up the cloth. After the 10
seconds I use another cloth that is presaturated with alcohol to quickly go
over the area. This seems to make the Goof Off action stop immediately.

You want to be sure that the plastic is not affected by the alcohol. Repeat
if necessary.

Another plastic dissolving solvent that I use in the same way is called
Fedron. It is used in the copier industry for reconditioning feed rollers.
Work quickly, neutralize with alcohol. Do not neutralize feed rollers. Fedron
works wonders with laser and inkjet printer feed rollers when they get glazed
by use.

Citrus based cleaners often work very well and I recommend them before Goof
Off.

You always want to work in well ventilated places.

Paxton