[SunRescue] Least expensive 'Real Server'

jcarver rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 12 11:36:57 CST 2000

Hi David,

	I would second James Lockwoods sentiments. I was able to pick
up a SparcServer 1000E from work. They bought a new server, but were
offered almost nothing for the old one. Me being a complete novice,
bought it thinking "Big Iron"! Better yet I could carry it upstairs to
the spare bedroom I use for my computer room. I know now why none of the
IT guys jumped on this bargain. While I won't get rid of this machine,
I have found a few issues.

	1. It's very noisy. Those 8" fans along one side sound like an
old air conditioner. I'm not sure I can stand to work within 5' of it.

	2. System boards are expensive. I got basically 2 1000E's. I got
a total of 3 boards from the 2. there are 3 SBUS slots per board. Any
additional boards after the first must be populated with at least 1 bank
of memory. If you have faster than 50 Mhz processors there are Emi
issues
that require a different fan assembly(according to the FEH). I just sold
board on ebay so I can purchase more memory.(Sold for nearly $500) Now
I'm
wondering, do I use both remaining boards or hold one back for a spare?

	3. Memory shows up on eBay from time to time, but usually goes fairly
high. Dealers know they have a captive audience. Only 8meg and 32meg
sticks
are available. As James says, you can't use them in anything else.

	4. As my lights just blinked again, (Please Lord don't LOCKOUT my
feeder!) I'm wondering how expensive a UPS is going to be for this
baby?!

As I said earlier I won't get rid of my SparcServer; Now known as
SparcMaster,
because of it's demands ;). If I had the time to sit down and rationally
think
about the whole process, knowing what I do now, I believe an Ultra 1
would be
a better investment. Particularly a "Creator" series with 100T, fastwide
SCSI
and best of all, 24 BIT COLOR! On the bright side, I don't get all
greasy and
grimmy with this hobby. Plus, it's below freezing this morning outside
where the
cars are and it's 70+ in my unheated computer room. (Gotta love those HP
4SI's
when it's cold out ;)

				jim