[SunRescue] WTB: Sparc LX? Canada?

Berserko rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 4 10:18:48 CST 2000

"Sheldon T. Hall" wrote:

> On Saturday, November 04, 2000 9:28 AM, Berserko [SMTP:berserko at thb.on.ca]
> wrote:
> > I ust need something a bit better to learn openwin with and thought either
> > a Weitek or an LX would be my best bet...
>
> Actually, you can get _much_ snappier Openwin or CDE performance by running
> the X server on a different machine from the X client.  In my case, the X
> server is either on a PeeCee or an HP 700/RX X-terminal, and the X client is
> on the LX.  Although startup is sorta slow in either case, once things are
> running, performance is very reasonable.
>
> Remember that X uses "server" and "client" in reverse of what you might
> think.  The host machine is the "client" and the one you're typing on is the
> "server."

Yeah but unfortunately accross 10 Mbit and the IPX doubling off as a Small NFS
server theirs not much more bandwidth to be had... The only way I could do is
is Double NIC my other Xserver and run on a different Class C between them one
segment for NFS one segment for X (the IPX is double NIC'd becuse I have a
combo ethernet/differential scsi Card in it)

I don't know what my bottle neck is I just have so many to choose from :)