[SunRescue] WTB: Sparc LX? Canada?

Berserko rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 4 23:12:02 CST 2000

"Sheldon T. Hall" wrote:

> Actually, you can get _much_ snappier Openwin or CDE performance by running
> the X server on a different machine from the X client.  In my case, the X
> server is either on a PeeCee or an HP 700/RX X-terminal, and the X client is
> on the LX.  Although startup is sorta slow in either case, once things are
> running, performance is very reasonable.
>
> Remember that X uses "server" and "client" in reverse of what you might
> think.  The host machine is the "client" and the one you're typing on is the
> "server."

Well Against everyones good judgementI went out and bought a Sparc LX today but
it really was the right prive I had gotten a call from my brotyher this morning
saying he had found this terrific computer junk warehouse I went down they had
shelves and shelves of stuff mostly PC stuff but also alot of Sun stuff I saw
one SGI I want to rescue next week... But I ended up buying a Sparc LX with 48
meg, 540 meg disk for $30 canadian It was super clean look like it ihad barely
ever been powered on the inside was so spotless.and I rescued a 20" Sun
GDM-20D10 This completes another rescue mission I did a few months ago on
another GDM-20D10 I got a non-working one a few months back turns out the fly
back was shot and not worth fixing the one I got today had a cracked/broken
case so I did a swap now Iis a beautiful monitor.I rescued that monitor for
$100 canadian. this place allowed me to test anything I wanted and allowed me
to mix/match parts till my hearts content so I even dragged my 72 pin ram
tester up and made sure my simms I was putting in were good all in all I'm
happy with this upgrade but I'm sure in a few days I'll be back to my old self
whining about the need for speed :)