[SunRescue] Finally got DSL

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 31 17:45:54 CST 2000

Just a note, there are several bits required for DSL service:

    - CO equipment
    - Line Quality
    - End-user "modem" (not quite, but that is how they are
      refered to in most circumstances)

SWBell may have CO equipment that can push 1.5 M/bit to you at your CO, but
the CLEC (Covad, for instance) has installed their *own* CO equipment, and
*it* can only push 144 K/bit to you.

Or, the equipment they bundle and sell you for use at home (the "modem") is
only rated for 144 K/bit, while SWBell offers a higher-speed end-user
device.

Neither is lying, but Covad is not telling you everything. For whatever
reason, *maybe* they can only *offer* 144 K/bit while SWBell can offer
higher speed. The real problem is the Covad "salesperson" who does not
understand the difference between "we only offerXXX in your area"  and "you
are located too far from your CO, so you can only get XXX" - to them it is
the same thing...

HTH,

Ken