[SunRescue] I could run a small country...

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 24 23:21:15 CST 2000

> There's a lot of body interchangability with the plethora of
> B-bodies of the era (Coronet/Charger/Roadrunner/Belvedere/etc).
> Suspension parts were nearly identical across the midsized line for
> a decade at that point.  Of course, the reverse transplant is more
> common, since you can usually weasel a chunk of a Satellite out of
> a junkyard for half of what the same piece off of a Roadrunner
> would cost.

Unfortunately, the parts that I need are not common - the rear
fenders behind the wheel wells are rusted out.  Those seem to be
unique to the '73 Satellite.  I've decided to tub the rear end to
make room for a set of Mickey Thompson "barely" Streets.  In order to
do that, I either have to move the springs in, or put in a custom
suspension with ladder bars, etc.  I might go the custom route - why
not, eh?  I need to visit the junkyards on the other side of the
state - they never failed me in th past.  Who knows, maybe I can find
a 383 or a 440 somewhere...

> Drove a big block Coronet wagon for a while, I'd love to find
> another one. 383, 4 speed (A833) and a bench seat!

I'm going to keep the A727 in it.  I will, however, be putting a
better torque converter, bands, and other parts into it.  If I punch
out the current 318 to 340ci, it will need to stand up to roughly
390hp and 420lb-ft of torque (estimated).

> I'm surprised that a factory "GLHS" or similar version of the
> Cruiser hasn't been rolled into production.  The engine draws on
> the heritage of the legendary 2.2 and a turbo would be a natural
> fit.

There's poop about a  GT Cruiser due out in 2003, but whatever they
do it won't be as good as the aftermarket can make a standard one.
Even a factory GT version will need better springs, more boost, a
better cam, headers, better exhaust.  Besides, the factory GT is
supposed to employ a turbocharger to increase HP - but we all know
that superchargers provide better torque and off-the-line
accelleration.  Turbos are run from exhaust gases, while
superchargers are run from the crank - this means that turbos start
providing power when the engine is already starting to wind up.
Superchargers, on the other hand, can provide the benefit of boost
immediately.  With the top speed physically limited to somewhere
around 135 (estimated, redline in 5th, never been there) the whole
game will be won on accelleration.  Besides, superchargers have a
much cooler sound than turbos - nothing like a fat, toothed belt
whining away on the pullies :)  The Plymouth might get a Vortech
supercharger - boosting it to about 530hp and 600lb-ft of torque.  I
better think about replacing the trans with something more stout!

Kurt