[SunRescue] I could run a small country...

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 25 02:18:20 CST 2000

On Mon, 25 Dec 2000, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> Unfortunately, the parts that I need are not common - the rear
> fenders behind the wheel wells are rusted out.  Those seem to be
> unique to the '73 Satellite.  I've decided to tub the rear end to
> make room for a set of Mickey Thompson "barely" Streets.  In order to
> do that, I either have to move the springs in, or put in a custom
> suspension with ladder bars, etc.  I might go the custom route - why

It's a cinch to move the springs, though I'd advise welding on some plates
at the front mounting points for strength if you're going too far past the
original pads.  My Year One catalog shows rear fender skins for the '73,
though it's a bit out of date.  Those are fairly easy to patch in if you
can weld and grind.

> I'm going to keep the A727 in it.  I will, however, be putting a
> better torque converter, bands, and other parts into it.  If I punch
> out the current 318 to 340ci, it will need to stand up to roughly
> 390hp and 420lb-ft of torque (estimated).

All right, I'll bite.  What do you plan on doing to a 340 to generate
those HP/torque figures?  A naturally aspirated 340 can do 390hp with a
bit of work, but it's up around 7000RPM (those LA blocks just love to rev,
and can, with the 340 bottom end).  I can't see 420lb-ft of torque without
radical compression, head work (possibly adapting the improved post-'89
heads), and a cam profile which would exclude 390hp.

Would you replace the entire motor or just bore out the 318?  I'd highly
recommend purchasing an entire 340 (unless you want to convert a later
roller 318) as the 340 gives you better heads, manifold, crank and rods.
I've got some 340/360 X heads and intake if you're interested.

There's an even better candidate for an engine swap, and you haven't
mentioned it: the Ram 488 V10.  It's an LA block with 2 extra cylinders
and is very nearly a bolt-up swap.  The rear engine mounts and bellhousing
are the same as the LA, so you can keep your current transmission and
driveline.  The only parts which need to be specially fabbed are the front
engine mounts, and the Satellite has adequate clearance to fit (only 4"
longer than a 440).  It's also lighter than the 440.  Performance parts
are available and you can either keep or reject the Ram FI setup.

A pity the B bodies are so heavy.  A Satellite is easily 3500lb+ in street
trim.

> better cam, headers, better exhaust.  Besides, the factory GT is
> supposed to employ a turbocharger to increase HP - but we all know
> that superchargers provide better torque and off-the-line
> accelleration.  Turbos are run from exhaust gases, while

This is true in some cases.  An exhaust bypass system coupled with a
variable ratio turbo (as Porsche used starting in the 80's) does not
suffer from turbo lag.  Best is when your effective A/R at low speeds is
under 1.2.

Besides, if you're traction limited off the line, more power won't help.
There's a reason even the tricked out Omni GLHS' have trouble breaking 12
second quarter miles, and it has nothing to do with turbo lag.

> whining away on the pullies :)  The Plymouth might get a Vortech
> supercharger - boosting it to about 530hp and 600lb-ft of torque.  I

At what, 30psi?  You're talking about 4lb-ft per cubic inch of
displacement.  If you plan on mixing your own gas and packing dry ice
around your intercooler, 600lb-ft may be doable.

-James