[SunRescue] Sun4 VME Parts / Memory

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 22 14:45:12 CST 2000

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Kevin Loch wrote:

> Dave Reader wrote:
> >
> > Also, what can I run with a 4/300 cpu in the 4/260's chassis? - I picked
> > up spare 4/200 and 4/300 cpu's to go with the 4/260 and 4/330 :)
> >
> You can't run any other CPU's that use the VME bus. 3/50 and 3/60 use

oh.. i remember reading something about running diferent cpus in different
chassis at www.grex.org - but i've probably misunderstood it.

> VME for power only so you can put as many as you want in there.
> You can use most VME peripherals but NOT x/200 memory or FPA.
> For memory expansion you need a 4/300 memory board (the large one).

okay.. not got one of those then.

> > I know from the hardware faq that the 4/330 will take upto 72Mb .. but
> > what will a 4/300 cpu handle in a bigger cage? will this take the same
> > memory boards as the 4/260?
> >
> You can have either 8mb or 32mb on the motherboard (1 or 4 meg simms).
> The 4/330 chassis has a small VME slot (covered by a piece of metal when
> not installed by factory) that holds a small 4/330 memory board.
> In a x/x60 chassis, you need the large 4/300 VME memory board.
> You might also be able to install the large memory board in one of the
> three large slots in the 4/330.

I've got a 370 chassis waiting for me, but i dont recall it havign any
memory boards in it. The spare 4/300 cpu I have came from a 4/360 - I took
most of the boards from this, and it has 32Mb on-board which is probably
therefore all it ever had.

> > I also note that with 72Mb installed, there is still a spare slot for a
> > memory card in the 4/330 .. is 72Mb really the limit?
> >

> the CPU supports at least 224MB (32mb on board + 192mb on large
> expansion),
> probably more.  I'm not sure if you can have more than one large or
> small
> (or even both) expansion boards.

OK. Not realising that the simms on this spaare cpu were 4Mb, i've just
popped it into the 330 and it's happily counted and testing 96Mb.. so far
so good. I wonder if the limitation was the physical size of the simms,
since the oldest 4Mb sun simms i have are larger than the 1Mb .. and the
330 cpu isnt double-width (whilst the other 4/300's are).

> > And finally, can anyone point me to a reference for the 4/330 boot rom? -
>
> b is the boot command, b sd(0,0,0) to boot scsi disk at id 3 and
> b sd(0,30,0) to boot scsi cdrom at id 6

yeah.. i know those. what i need to know it how to change its default
details, and whetever else can be done.

the biggest problem I have at the moment is that on both cpus, i get
nothing from it in "normal" mode - and the diag lights show a pattern
which is not in the FEH i've found: X..XXX.. where an 'X' is lit.

in diag mode, i get console i/o on ttya. with its original cpu it seems to
work after finishing its diag tests, but i found that the rom monitor isnt
as friendly as those ive used before. the 2nd board is diag-ing right now,
so we'll see how that does.

> Make sure you have no frame buffer or keyboard installed to force it
> to use ttya as console port.  You might also try setting 0x1f to 0x10
> to force ttya.

okay, how? i'm not very familiar with the old rom monitor, and i dont
really want to have to dig the 4/260 out (its rather awkward) to ask it
(since it does respond to '?' or 'help' or something like that..)

dave.