[SunRescue] Sun4 VME Parts / Memory

Kevin Loch rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 22 14:01:34 CST 2000

Dave Reader wrote:

> Also, what can I run with a 4/300 cpu in the 4/260's chassis? - I picked
> up spare 4/200 and 4/300 cpu's to go with the 4/260 and 4/330 :)

You can't run any other CPU's that use the VME bus. 3/50 and 3/60 use
VME for power only so you can put as many as you want in there.
You can use most VME peripherals but NOT x/200 memory or FPA.
For memory expansion you need a 4/300 memory board (the large one).

> I know from the hardware faq that the 4/330 will take upto 72Mb .. but
> what will a 4/300 cpu handle in a bigger cage? will this take the same
> memory boards as the 4/260?

You can have either 8mb or 32mb on the motherboard (1 or 4 meg simms).
The 4/330 chassis has a small VME slot (covered by a piece of metal when
not installed by factory) that holds a small 4/330 memory board.
In a x/x60 chassis, you need the large 4/300 VME memory board.
You might also be able to install the large memory board in one of the
three large slots in the 4/330.

> I also note that with 72Mb installed, there is still a spare slot for a
> memory card in the 4/330 .. is 72Mb really the limit?

the CPU supports at least 224MB (32mb on board + 192mb on large
expansion),
probably more.  I'm not sure if you can have more than one large or
small
(or even both) expansion boards.

> And finally, can anyone point me to a reference for the 4/330 boot rom? -

b is the boot command, b sd(0,0,0) to boot scsi disk at id 3 and
b sd(0,30,0) to boot scsi cdrom at id 6

Make sure you have no frame buffer or keyboard installed to force it
to use ttya as console port.  You might also try setting 0x1f to 0x10
to force ttya.