[SunRescue] Sun4 VME Parts / Memory

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 22 15:01:06 CST 2000

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Kevin Loch wrote:

> You can have either 8mb or 32mb on the motherboard (1 or 4 meg simms).
> The 4/330 chassis has a small VME slot (covered by a piece of metal when
> not installed by factory) that holds a small 4/330 memory board.

Two of them, actually.  A 4/330 can go to 40MB (16 on 2 cards, 8 on the
mainboard) with 1MB SIMMs.  4MB SIMMs can be used with a high enough OBP
version (3.0.1?).  4.1.1 is the latest.

> b is the boot command, b sd(0,0,0) to boot scsi disk at id 3 and
> b sd(0,30,0) to boot scsi cdrom at id 6

That's 0,30,1, as the sun4 boot partition was the second partition on the
CD (at least in Solaris 2.4, I believe SunOS 4 was the same).

The numbers are x,y,z where:

x = scsi controller
y = SCSI ID * 8 + LUN
z = partition ID

In case anyone is curious.  All in hex, of course.

-James