[SunRescue] stupid solaris printing question

Scott Norwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 21 16:11:05 CST 2000

OK, I think I answered my own question.  It appears that the easiest
way to restrict printing in Solaris is to use TCP wrappers (just
like for telnet, ftpd, finger, etc.).  Add this line to /etc/inetd.conf
(it's supposed to be one line):

printer         stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/sbin/tcpd    /usr/lib/print/in.lpd

Then, add the appropriate entries to /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny
and kill -HUP inetd.

I would personally argue that the default behavior of allowing the entire
world to print to my printer was a really boneheaded decision, and the
lack of an easy way to restrict this (a la /etc/hosts.lpd) is similarly
bad.  Apparently, there's supposed to be a way to do this with lpadmin
or by editing /etc/printers.conf (yeah, I know you're not supposed to
hand-edit this file...), but it's not obvious from the man pages.

- Scott