[SunRescue] Problems with some quad ethernet action

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 11 06:10:56 CST 2000

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Eric Ozrelic wrote:

> I looked at the dmesg output and found one entry that had an "exp" in it,
> but I'm not sure if
> it's for what I need:
>
> Dec 10 22:25:14 Caprice unix: NOTICE: exp: 64-bit driver module not found
>
> There is only one such entry.

In all likelyhood this is the problem.  The driver for you card has not
been compiled in 64-bit mode and will not operate under a 64-bit kernel.
If you can use this system with a 32-bit kernel then I recommend you try
that and possibly rerun the installation.

> I have a few questions.... what is this FCode thing? Do I need to make some
> sort of generic
> device alias(s) in OBP using FCode? Is there any way I can check to see if

You only need an FCode entry if you want to be able to use it from the
OBP (such as booting over the network).

-James