[SunRescue] Problems with some quad ethernet action

Eric Ozrelic rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 11 12:36:59 CST 2000

> In all likelyhood this is the problem.  The driver for you card has not
> been compiled in 64-bit mode and will not operate under a 64-bit kernel.
> If you can use this system with a 32-bit kernel then I recommend you try
> that and possibly rerun the installation.

Is there a boot flag to switch to a 32 bit kernel mode? Will I have to
re-install my
entire system to regress to a 32 bit kernel? From what I've read isn't
Solaris supposed to be binary compatible for applications that were written
in
both 32 and 64 bit mode? Does this mean the drivers that are compiled in 32
bit mode won't work on a system configured with a 64 bit kernel?

Why wouldn't the morons that compiled these drivers compile it using 64 bit
mode?
Even if they were running the system in 32 bit mode, from what I understand,
they could have compiled the drivers for 64 bit mode if they had the 64 bit
development libraries?

One more thing, I have the GCC compiler installed on my system and often use
it
to compile software that I get off the internet. My friend came over and was
helping
me compile an application that was being finicky. After all was said and
done, he
said for the cost I put into this Ultra system, and for how much I had
touted it as
being cool, it compiled much slower then a lot of lower end Pentium systems
he
uses with FreeBSD.

Is this because GCC is compiling 64 bit binaries for my system? Is there any
reason
that I should be running in 64 bit mode? Will things run faster and compile
faster in
32 bit mode?

I'm very confused about all of this. I've read over the differences between
32bit and
64 bit mode from Sun for Solaris 7. Now I think I don't really need to be
using 64
bit mode.

If anyone can help me out, thanks in advance!

Regards,

Eric Ozrelic