[SunRescue] Problems with some quad ethernet action

Eric Ozrelic rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 11 01:30:29 CST 2000

Hey guys, I (tried) installed my Osicom Quad port ethernet card (MN: 2340TX)
In my Ultra 10.
I download the Solaris 7 UltraSparc version drivers from they're FTP. I
couldn't find any
sort of instruction manual for the card on they're FTP or website. Doing a
quick search
on the internet reveals no such manual.

I put the card in and, booted into Solaris 7 (with all patches/updates
installed, including firmware
updates), and logged in as root to install the drivers. I went to install
the drivers, it was setup as a package, so I just installed it as usual. To
my dismay, I get the following errors:

add_drv -i pci1112,2300 pci1011,9 exp ... devfsadm: driver failed to attach:
exp
Warning: Driver (exp) successfully added to system but failed to attach
Failed
Driver installation failed
Bringing down interface exp0 ...Done
Bringing down interface exp1 ...Done
Bringing down interface exp2 ...Done
Bringing down interface exp3 ...Done
Removing /etc/netbin.exp ...Done
Removing driver modules
exp...Done

Back to you...
pkgadd: ERROR: postinstall script did not complete successfully

Installation of <SXP2300> failed.

I looked in the /dev folder and found that an exp* device had not been
added, nor had
one been added in /devices. I went to the OBP, and did a show-devs. I found
4 new entries, I'm assuming one for each port on the card:

/pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/pci at 1/ethernet7
/pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/pci at 1/ethernet6
/pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/pci at 1/ethernet5
/pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/pci at 1/ethernet4

I looked at the dmesg output and found one entry that had an "exp" in it,
but I'm not sure if
it's for what I need:

Dec 10 22:25:14 Caprice unix: NOTICE: exp: 64-bit driver module not found

There is only one such entry.

I did some more research and found that the card has been tested on my
machine by Sun:

Card Name: 2340-TX Quad Fast Ethernet
Product Type: Ethernet Adapter
Vendor Name: Osicom
separate 10/ 100Base Ethernet LAN to your PCI Bus workstation, allowing full
132MBps burst data rate across the PCI bus.
FCode Firmware on board? NO
Energy Star Compatible? NO

Basic Tests per Platform / Solaris Revision(s) (See Note A)
Venue: Sun East Coast I/O Test lab
Driver packages tested with: SXP2300 SXP-2300 for Solaris SPARC (sparc)
B2.30 March 11, 1998
1. Workstation (Ultra30): 2.6 HW5/98, OBP 3.11.1 TESTED
2. Workstation (Ultra60): 2.6 HW5/98, OBP 3.11.26 TESTED
3. Desktop Server (Ultra-E450): NOT TESTED
4. Desktop Server (Ultra-E250): NOT TESTED
5. Enterprise Server (E3000): NOT TESTED
6. Workstation (Ultra5 & Ultra10): 2.6 HW5/98, OBP 3.11.9 TESTED
7. UltraAX in standard PC box: NOT TESTED

I have a few questions.... what is this FCode thing? Do I need to make some
sort of generic
device alias(s) in OBP using FCode? Is there any way I can check to see if
Solaris is seeing
this device, and not just in the OBP? If anyone can help me get this thing
up and running it
would be great. This is a known working card, and was just being used in a
Digital freebsd
box. Just for kicks I plugged in all four ports into my switch before I
tried to install it (again)
to make sure it wasn't some strange problem with it not being able to bring
the interfaces up
because it wasn't connected.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Eric Ozrelic

p.s I tried the Solaris 2.6 UltraSparc drivers but they would not install
because it said my
Solaris version was too high.... go figure....  :-)