[geeks] Solaris 8 inetd/telnetd multi-interface question

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Oct 30 10:00:52 CDT 2017

> I've got an Ultra5 running Solaris 8 [with] five interfaces (hme0,
> qfe0-qfe3) and [...] addresses on three of those (hme0, qfe0 & qfe1).
> [...]
> When I attempt to telnet to the U5 on its qfe1 address I get a socket
> connect but never appear to receive a telnet login banner.

How long have you waited?  I don't know Solaris in particular, but in
general this smells to me like name->address or (more likely)
address->name resolution failing, and failing in a way that has a long
timeout (75 seconds is not unusual, and there may be multiple requests
timing out).

Of course, as I say, I don't know Solaris, so it would not surprise me
if the above speculation proved to be entirely wrong.

> If anyone could give me a hint I'd appreciate it.

If all else fails, syscall-tracing telnetd and/or inetd should give you
some hints; while I can't tell you what it is, I feel reasonably sure
Solaris 8 has some kind of sycsall tracing.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org