[geeks] Solaris 8 inetd/telnetd multi-interface question

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Tue Oct 31 08:13:00 CDT 2017

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017, Mouse wrote:
>> I've got an Ultra5 running Solaris 8 [with] five interfaces (hme0,
>> qfe0-qfe3) and [...] addresses on three of those (hme0, qfe0 & qfe1).
>> [...]
>> When I attempt to telnet to the U5 on its qfe1 address I get a socket
>> connect but never appear to receive a telnet login banner.
>
> How long have you waited?  I don't know Solaris in particular, but in
> general this smells to me like name->address or (more likely)
> address->name resolution failing, and failing in a way that has a long
> timeout (75 seconds is not unusual, and there may be multiple requests
> timing out).

That's really embarrassing. Because I thought I'd waited for long enough.
But I just logged in (I forgot I now have a static IP to my house and can
log in remotely) and waited ~3 minutes and up popped the login prompt.

After some clunking about I added the interface to /etc/hosts and fixed
the /etc/resolv.conf and, lo, it works.

The /etc/hosts didn't appear to make a difference to anything, which is
odd since if DNS resolution was broken all of the interfaces should've
been slow.

So I still have a mystery, but it works, so, thanks for pointing out what
should've been obvious Mouse, genuinely appreciated.

  - JP