[geeks] Solaris 8 inetd/telnetd multi-interface question

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Mon Oct 30 09:33:23 CDT 2017

Greetings all;

I've got an Ultra5 running Solaris 8 that I have on my network that I'm
trying to connect to remotely. Unfortunately my famaliarity with
networking under Solaris is... barely passable.

The machine has five interfaces (hme0, qfe0-qfe3) and has configured
addresses on three of those (hme0, qfe0 & qfe1). Two belong to the SSP
network to my E10k (hme0 and qfe0) and one is DHCP'ing off my internal
network (qfe1).
qfe1 previously was not an active interface, I added dhcp to it
a few weeks ago.

telnetd is running under inetd as per normal and _I_ haven't mucked with
the system to reduce who can access its interfaces. The machine does not
appear to have sshd installed.

So here's the problem:
When I attempt to telnet to the U5 on its qfe1 address I get a socket
connect but never appear to receive a telnet login banner.

>From localhost, I can telnet to 127.0.0.1, the hme0 address and the qfe0
address and get a telnet banner. Telnetting to qfe1 from localhost gives
me the same as remotely - a socket connect, but no telnet banner/login
prompt.

I have _not_ rebooted the system. I _have_ restarted inetd, added the qfe1
network to /etc/netmasks, restarted again.
I think obviously I'm missing something basic that my lack of famaliarity
with Solaris' networking is tripping me up on.

If anyone could give me a hint I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!

  - JP