[geeks] Ran the numbers - V240

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Nov 10 15:00:45 CST 2017

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> I referred to Jonathans remark about the numbers printed on the PSU
> where he tried to make a guess about the efficiency of the PSUs. (At
> least thats how I interpreted it. Sorry if I got it wrong.)

It was an off-the-cuff comparison.

I would assume the two designs are similar, given the same age and
manufacturer of the two PSUs.  So, either the larger unit as lower
efficiency (the device wastes the energy) or a lower power factor
(the grid uses the energy less efficiently, which is hardly better).

Modern PSUs generally have both higher efficiency and a power factor of
0.9 or higher.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX