[geeks] Ran the numbers - V240

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Nov 9 11:30:27 CST 2017

There are much better arm machines for server use than the Raspberry Pi, for
similar cost and power. The Raspberry Pi's continue to share a single USB
interface for both 100mbit Ethernet and any external storage you choose to
use. Looking elsewhere you can get gigabit and/or dedicated storage
interface.

The odroid hc1 (
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G150229074080 )
looks promising and is from a fairly reputable company. It had 2gb ram,
gigabit Ethernet and a SATA port. I think the SATA may use a USB 3 converter
chip on board, which is still very fast. The price is $49. They come with a
stackable frame, so it might avoid buying the Etsy case, evening it the price
difference a bit.

Alternatively, if you don't want the hard drives, the same company offers a
cluster product (
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G150152508314 ).
That comes in 4 node chunks with attached fan for $220.

In the past, I've used pogo plug devices, which I would also recommend over
the Raspberry Pis for server use, but they are getting a little old, so if I
was making a new purchase, it would probably be the above device.