[geeks] Windows 7 File & Printer Sharing Nightmare

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 13:57:20 CST 2015

On 07/01/2015 19:28, Gaz God wrote:
> Is UAC turned off on the workstations and by off I mean properly off having
> it on or partially on can cause strange connection problems with windows.
> One of the best way of test this and some other windows connection features
> is M$'s WMI Diagnostics:-
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ff404265.aspx. I spent over a
> week once trying to solve a WMI connection to a server and UAC was the
> culprit.
>
> Don't know if that's the issue here but worth running anyway.

Thanks.

For what little it's worth I left UAC on for anti-idiot protection, not
that it gives you a lot but it's at least an early warning if something
gets in via a browser (by far the largest source of malware on the
network). I'll have a go at running the diagnostic on a machine next
time it flakes out (if I can) and see what's what.

*wanders off grumbling about why I hate being a Windows admin*

--

Mark Benson