[geeks] cheap, secure wifi router?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 08:18:04 CST 2015

> On Dec 15, 2015, at 7:49 AM, Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:
>
> " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
> "
> " > On Dec 14, 2015, at 6:08 PM, Andrew Jones <andrew at jones.ec> wrote:
> " >
> " > I keep my wireless AP device separate from my actual internet router so
that
> " I am not at the mercy of ddwrt/tomato/openwrt maintainers for security
updates
> " on an internet-facing device.
> "
> " Having all wireless traffic isolated behind a router on their own IP
address
> " range away from your 'production' network is a very common network
topology in
> " my experience.
>
> excellent theory - but my home network may not be fancy enough to
> implement it...

'Fancy'? What I described involves nothing more than taking a home
wifi/router, plugging it into your current wired network and setting the
on-board DHCP range to something other than the IP range employed on your
wired network (eg 192.168.xxx.xxx for wifi, 10.xxx.xxx.xxx for home network)

Packets from both networks will still travel on the same wires, but a wifi
'visitor' will have to guess the ip addresses of your non-wifi network
elements in order to find them.