[geeks] cheap, secure wifi router?

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Tue Dec 15 08:36:21 CST 2015

On 12/15/15 08:49, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
> "
> " > On Dec 14, 2015, at 6:08 PM, Andrew Jones <andrew at jones.ec> wrote:
> " >
> " > I keep my wireless AP device separate from my actual internet router so that
> " I am not at the mercy of ddwrt/tomato/openwrt maintainers for security updates
> " on an internet-facing device.
> "
> " Having all wireless traffic isolated behind a router on their own IP address
> " range away from your 'production' network is a very common network topology in
> " my experience.
>
> excellent theory - but my home network may not be fancy enough to
> implement it...

I actually have a three-zone network, with a wired backbone subnet and
two wireless subnets, one for 11g and one for 11n - both of which are in
a separate isolated firewall zone, protected from the outside Internet
but also with restricted access directly to hosts on the wired backbone.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net