[geeks] Best external drive array?

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Tue Oct 28 07:32:30 CDT 2014

On 10/28/14 07:24, Cory Smelosky wrote:
> Morning all,
>
> I've begun archiving a bunch of the stuff I have acquired/stumbled
> upon...and really, a 3TB ZFS RAID-1 array is not the best solution to keep
> this stuff longer than 5 minutes. ;)
>
> I more-or-less need a dumb external drive cage...probably 8-drive minimum,
> hotswap that can be tossed at a FreeBSD/Solaris box for ZFS...meaning
> JBOD.  I don't need all the ethernet cruft...the simpler and lower-power
> the better.  eSATA or POSSIBLY USB3 would suffice...speed isn't a
> priority...reliability and capacity IS.
>
> Any ideas aside from finding a local welder and a mounting a hacked-up
> SATA port multiplier? ;)
>
> Also...density for ZFS is a much higher priority than number of blinkenlights and fancy windows-only administration panels. ;)

Hmmm....   I've been thinking about a rebuild of my NAS box.  An
external SAS chassis that would hold SFF drives, combined with a more or
less commodity 1U chassis, might be better and easier than trying to
find a commodity rackmount case with hotswap SFF drive bays.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net