[geeks] Best external drive array?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Tue Oct 28 06:24:41 CDT 2014

Morning all,

I've begun archiving a bunch of the stuff I have acquired/stumbled
upon...and really, a 3TB ZFS RAID-1 array is not the best solution to keep
this stuff longer than 5 minutes. ;)

I more-or-less need a dumb external drive cage...probably 8-drive minimum,
hotswap that can be tossed at a FreeBSD/Solaris box for ZFS...meaning
JBOD.  I don't need all the ethernet cruft...the simpler and lower-power
the better.  eSATA or POSSIBLY USB3 would suffice...speed isn't a
priority...reliability and capacity IS.

Any ideas aside from finding a local welder and a mounting a hacked-up
SATA port multiplier? ;)

Also...density for ZFS is a much higher priority than number of blinkenlights and fancy windows-only administration panels. ;)

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff