[geeks] Best external drive array?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 08:28:02 CDT 2014

Sans Digital makes some nice 4 and 8 bay cabinets suitable for use outside a
commercial datacenter for around $200 or $300 (respectively). These are SATA
chassis with (typically) either eSATA and/or USB interfaces.

http://sansdigital.com

Suitable eSATA controllers are about $25 if not included with the chassis you
select. Reminder - the eSATA port needs to support 'port multiplier', on-
board Intel eSATA ports typically don't.

pc-pitstop.com has some nice cabinets available also:

http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sata_enclosures/

Lionel

> On Oct 28, 2014, at 6:24 AM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:
>
> Morning all,
>
> I've begun archiving a bunch of the stuff I have acquired/stumbled
upon...and really, a 3TB ZFS RAID-1 array is not the best solution to keep
this stuff longer than 5 minutes. ;)

> I more-or-less need a dumb external drive cage...probably 8-drive minimum,
hotswap that can be tossed at a FreeBSD/Solaris box for ZFS...meaning JBOD.  I
don't need all the ethernet cruft...the simpler and lower-power the better.
eSATA or POSSIBLY USB3 would suffice...speed isn't a priority...reliability
and capacity IS.

> Any ideas aside from finding a local welder and a mounting a hacked-up SATA
port multiplier? ;)

> Also...density for ZFS is a much higher priority than number of
blinkenlights and fancy windows-only administration panels. ;)