[geeks] HP CrapRAID problem

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 01:15:38 CDT 2014

On 21 Oct 2014 07:06, "Patrick Giagnocavo" <patrick at zill.net> wrote:

> >Okay. I guess that means build a RAID volume in mdraid then use as a PV
in
> >lvm, then?
>
> Yes, that is exactly right!  Bonus is that you have 2 levels at which you
can re-arrange storage if in the future, you need to (either change the
underlying md device or use pvmove and friends).

> >scenario will be when I'm offsite. Also, ZFS in Debian Wheezy's repo is
> >significantly behind on features vs. FreeBSD/FreeNAS (some recent prior
> >experience here). I could build ZFS from source but is that going to
break
> >on a kernel upgrade?
>
> Look around for better packages.  However you might be best served with
ZFS by putting the OS on regular ext3 filesystems and then putting data on
ZFS.  That way if the upgraded kernel gets borked, you can still boot
easily into a working system and fix things.

This brings me to the next question. As this system only has 2 discs  is it
more viable to boot from USB? It has an internal bootable port for the
purpose, but I found the USB stick I was using to be very slow during the
debian install process. Is that normal? Should I look around for a faster
stick?

--
Mark Benson

http://markbenson.org/blog