[geeks] [rescue] Stromasys Emulators

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue May 13 14:38:24 CDT 2014

> On May 13, 2014, at 1:02 PM, David Brownlee <abs at absd.org> wrote:
>
>> On 13 May 2014 16:47, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> While flipping around the web I came across Stromasys emulators for AXP,
>> VAX,
>> SPARC, and some HP system. What makes this interesting to me is that they
>> offer a free[0] SS/20 emulator that runs under a bundled Ubuntu Linux
>> system,
>> and is apparently available as a VMware VM image.
>>
>> An SS/20 running under VMware? How cool is that?!?!
>>
>> Here is a link:
>>
>> http://www.stromasys.com/products/charon-freeware/charon-freeware/
>>
>> If you fill out the contact info, they respond almost instantly with a
>> download link in an email. I won 't have a chance to play with this until
>> tonight.
>>
>> Thought a few here would be interested...
>
> (Not trying to take anything away from the above - I think its pretty cool,
> and while I prefer Open Source I think a mixed market is a good thing :)

I was interested in the fact that it's a SPARC emulator, and amused that it is
an SS/20 they chose to emulate.

> Tangential thoughts:
>
> If someone has some cycles to spare it should be easy enough to put
> together a *nix VMware image with a nice selection of emulator: simh, qemu,
> tme, gxemul, hatari, aliasdos, atari800, b-em, p11, openmsx... etc

A MAME-like box of classic OSes - interesting.

Unfortunate reality, severL of the more interesting OSes have a few hoops to
jump through to get rights to use the software image, for example VMS

I want to put a PDP-8 emulator inside a lunchbox as a 'portable' PDP-8
(ideally with WiFi AP so smartphones and tablets could log terminal sessions
on it...).