[geeks] [rescue] Stromasys Emulators

David Brownlee abs at absd.org
Tue May 13 12:02:15 CDT 2014

On 13 May 2014 16:47, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:
> While flipping around the web I came across Stromasys emulators for AXP,
> VAX,
> SPARC, and some HP system. What makes this interesting to me is that they
> offer a free[0] SS/20 emulator that runs under a bundled Ubuntu Linux
> system,
> and is apparently available as a VMware VM image.
>
> An SS/20 running under VMware? How cool is that?!?!
>
> Here is a link:
>
> http://www.stromasys.com/products/charon-freeware/charon-freeware/
>
> If you fill out the contact info, they respond almost instantly with a
> download link in an email. I won 't have a chance to play with this until
> tonight.
>
> Thought a few here would be interested...

(Not trying to take anything away from the above - I think its pretty cool,
and while I prefer Open Source I think a mixed market is a good thing :)

Tangential thoughts:

If someone has some cycles to spare it should be easy enough to put
together a *nix VMware image with a nice selection of emulator: simh, qemu,
tme, gxemul, hatari, aliasdos, atari800, b-em, p11, openmsx... etc

Alternative automating the build of as lightweight as possible OS wrapper
around an emulator image.

Rather than VMware maybe something which could be deployed as a cloud box,
with ssh into the VM image linking to the emulated machine's console port.

Want to deploy a virtual VAX into a free amazon cloud instance? Here you go.

Damn... now I'm almost interested enough to start poking.

If I built one would anyone else want to play with a copy? :)