[geeks] Enterprise SATA hard drive recommendations

Google md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 16:31:47 CST 2013

On 2 Dec 2013, at 19:10, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there an issue with the Seagates that precludes you from simply
replacing
> them directly?

not exactly super-impressed with the ones that flaked out after 4 years, to be
honest. That said, 2009 *was* a pretty bad year for buying Seagates.

> My home Dell T605 has 4x WD RED drives, but my drives are fairly low-
usage.

> I'm about to build- out a 1U server with dual 250G WD RED drives in RAID 1
for
> OS and dual Seagate ES 1T drives in RAID 1 for storage space. I'm using the
> REDs because I have them on-hand, and I got a deal on the Seagate ES
drives.

I fear WD Reds are a little too consumer oriented for production server usage,
WD do a whole tier of drives above that out of which the Re series are the
most robust (apparently) and are available in SATA.

My big problem is Im really unimpressed in recent years with hard drive
manufacturers quality in general. Having had no less than 4 drives fail on me
(non of which had been thrashed excessively) inside the last 18 months Im a
bit leery. I guess i the enterprise market this sort of thing is a lot less
common. We probably just got a short straw machine with a bad drive in, or the
drives were out of a poor batch?

The other reason Im pulling both disks and binning them (aside from them
being of identical age and one having failed) is the OS keeps crashing (the
first sign of an issue, apparently if you run non-DeadRat linux on Dell
servers you are boned if you want them to self-dangose) which suggests both
sides of the array are failing. This is why I dont even intend to attempt a
re-silver. Not worth the hassle and itll probably not work.

Speed isnt the primary concern, durability and integrity are.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>