[geeks] Enterprise SATA hard drive recommendations

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Dec 2 18:30:31 CST 2013

The only case where "Enterprise" matters is bit error rates.  I think there are some Enterprise labeled drives that have an order of magnitude better bit errors.  That is, a consumer drive might have 1 in 10^14 and the Enterprise drive has 1 in 10^15 error rates.

Personally, I have never paid extra for Enterprise, and have used mostly software RAID and ZFS setups.

And the drives that crapped out on me were RE series drives, the RAID1 pair that caused me so much grief were 2 drives that had sequential serial numbers.

Currently have been using a lot of the Toshiba 2TB and 3TB drives, they are new enough that I can't tell their long term longevity but no problems so far ...

Cheers

Patrick