[geeks] Quiet CFLs

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Sep 30 18:52:43 CDT 2012

When I started with CFLs in my prior apartment, they lasted so much longer than incandescent bulbs and seemed to have no downside beyond warm up time. I never had a CFL burn out there.

In my house, I have had many burn out with great frequency.  The only thing keeping me from switching back is that I don't want the extra heat.

I'm interested in LEDs, but I'm concerned about burn outs. They are still too expensive to put up with frequent burnouts.  A lot of my lamps are recessed or enclosed (or both), making heat build up even worse.