[geeks] Deltect T2000 UPS

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Mar 8 13:03:22 CST 2012

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 06:55:23 -0500
Shannon <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> Also, a good UPS does more than just keep the machine running when power
> goes out. A big bonus is clean power. My equipment on the T2000 all had
> significantly fewer issues than equipment not on it even when I did not
> lose power.
This is only true for online UPSes. I.e. UPSes that feed the output
from the inverter all the time. Most (smaler) UPSes are stand by. They
run the output from the input und switch to the inverter only at power
fail.

> Of course, this is eastern Virginia, where we never go more than 1-3
> months without power glitches or outright blackouts, and extreme
> electrical storms, nor'easters, and hurricanes are several times a year
> events.
Thats what I call a really unreliable power grid and in such cases a
UPS is good. - No question. At least in urban areas here in germany
power is very reliable. - More reliable then UPSes.

That is the question: What is more reliable? The UPS or the power
grid? The UPS will only help if it is more reliable then the power
grid. The answer to the question UPS or not - obviously - depends
on your speciffic environement.

But still: A UPS is an additional (single) point of failure. If you
wane be sure, use redundant power supplies and feed them by independent
UPSes or one by UPS and one out of the wall outlet. Using different
circuits is a good idea too.
--

\end{Jochen}

\ref{http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/}