[geeks] Deltect T2000 UPS

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Mar 8 05:55:23 CST 2012

On 08-Mar-2012 03:17, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 20:49:46 -0500
> Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:
>
>> It must be one of those weeks.
> [dead UPS]
> To my experience: Most of the time a UPS is the cause of a power outage
> because it dies. More often then it preserves the machnine from a power
> outage. Therefore: Use a UPS only if your power grid is _really_
> unreliable. Or use it only with machines that have two fully redundant
> PSUs and power feeds. Plug one PSU into mains, one in a UPS. So the
> machine keeps running when the UPS dies.

I only have that experience with low quality UPS.

Also, a good UPS does more than just keep the machine running when power
goes out. A big bonus is clean power. My equipment on the T2000 all had
significantly fewer issues than equipment not on it even when I did not
lose power.

Of course, this is eastern Virginia, where we never go more than 1-3
months without power glitches or outright blackouts, and extreme
electrical storms, nor'easters, and hurricanes are several times a year
events.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-keys which had a name of 0x5936BC24.asc]